Outlook.com – Windows 10 Shared Calendar Time Out

Windows-Dev

So I have been having a couple of issues with shared calendars on Outlook.com using Windows 10.

The first issue is the regular reminders I get telling me that  I need to ‘fix my account’ settings for my wife’s shared calendar. When I try to fix this, and provide her password and PIN, I am told that the PIN is incorrect – despite resetting her PIN.

The second issue is that (all of a sudden) my wife can no longer see my shared calendar – so time to fix this!

Simply sharing my calendar again did not work – I just got a spinning circle next to the “Adding calendar …” status and nothing happened.

To resolve the issue I had to remove my wife’s PIN from all of her computers. After rebooting them I re-shared my calendar and it worked.

Refer to the steps below to see how to reset your PIN and share your Calendar.

How to reset your PIN

 

To remove your PIN click Start, then type Settings and open the Settings app. Navigate to Accounts, Sign-in options and then under the PIN heading click the Remove button.

Win10-Remove-PIN

How to Share your Calendar

First access your Calendar here: https://outlook.live.com/owa/

Click Share from the toolbar and then select the calendar you want to share.

Share Calendar

Note: If you are already sharing this calendar with the intended recipient click the trash can icon next to their name to revoke their permissions.

Next, enter the email address of the person you want to share your calendar with then click the Share button and then Done.

Share Calendar 2

Hope that this helps someone else out there!

VMware vSphere 5.5 – Call “HostStorageSystem.ComputeDiskPartitionInfo” for object “storageSystem” on ESXi failed

Intel NUC

I recently installed VMware vSphere 5.5 on my Intel (Haswell) NUC (D34010WYH1).

Today I got the following error when I tried to create a VMFS 5 datastore on the SATA hard drive that I installed in my NUC:

Call "HostStorageSystem.ComputeDiskPartitionInfo" for object "storageSystem" on ESXi failed

A quick search of the internet took me to this solution which required logging as root and manually deleting partitions on the drive.

Fortunately I found a simpler solution.

I was able to create a datastore using the (legacy) VMFS 3 filesystem and then just upgraded it to VMFS 5.

Windows 8 – Could not find SDK Microsoft.WinJS.1.0.RC, Version=1.0 Error In Visual Studio 2012

Windows 8 Logo

Tonight I was looking for code to enhance the grid app template in Visual Studio 2012 but ran into the following error when I tried to build the sample:

Could not find SDK “Microsoft.WinJS.1.0.RC, Version=1.0″

The error occurs because Microsoft.WinJS.1.0.RC was used in the Windows 8 Release Preview (RP) and Windows 8 now uses Microsoft.WinJS.1.0.

The fix is as follows – in the Solution Explorer expand References and then right-click on Microsoft.WinJS.1.0.RC and remove it.

Microsoft.WinJS.1.0.RC in Visual Studio 2012
Microsoft.WinJS.1.0.RC in Visual Studio 2012

Right click References then Add References and select Windows Library for Javascript 1.0 and click OK:

Add Windows
Add Windows Library for Javascript 1.0

The last step is to change Javascript references across the entire solution using Find and Replace:

Replace
Replace Microsoft.WinJS.1.0.RC with Microsoft.WinJS.1.0

Source: http://mattduffield.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/upgrading-windows-8-html5-code-from-rp-to-rtm/

Windows Experience Index: Could not measure video playback performance

Windows 8 Logo

The Windows Experience Index (WEI) provides a benchmark of the major components in your computer.

I recently tried to run WEI on a clean install of Windows 8 because I had just installed my first Solid State Drive (SSD) and was curious to see how it compared to a regular Hard Drive.

Unfortunately I ran into the following error: Could not measure video playback performance.

The video files that WEI uses to measure playback are in the C:\WINDOWS\Performance\WinSAT folder.

The problem for me was that Windows Media Player (WMP) had not been run and set-up yet.

Once I had run WMP I made sure that the video files in the WinSAT folder all opened with WMP – and after this WEI completed without issue.

For the record I did not have any codecs installed on my system – but I did have VLC Player installed. Updating my video drivers did not make any difference to whether WEI completed or not on my computer – your mileage may vary!

If this does not fix your issue I recommend that you look here.

xbmcbuntu 11 (Eden) – YouTube Plugin 3.1 Playback Issue

I recently installed the TubeToTV extenstion for the Chromium browser in Ubuntu 12.04 so that I could send YouTube videos from my laptop to my xmbc Media Center. I was surprised when I got a Playback error message.

I soon found that the issue was not with the TubeToTv extension but with the YouTube (3.1) Plugin on xbmc.

Fortunately a kind fellow called anteo had already stepped in to fix the extension – so I can now play YouTube videos on xbmc and use the TubeToTV extenstion too!

The fix is as follows – open a terminal and shh into your xbmc:

ssh user@ipaddress

Use the username and IP adddress of your xmbc.

Retrieve two plugins using wget:

wget https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33024933/plugin.video.youtube.zip
wget https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33024933/script.module.simple.
downloader.zip

Update: The above links are no longer working and so I have uploaded the files to dropbox myself:

Next uninstall the YouTube 3.1 plugin from xbmc and then install the two plugins that you just downloaded.

Many thanks to anteo for the fix!