ViMP (a video & social media Content Management System) recently released version 2.1.1 (which includes support for mobile devices).
I had previously installed version 2.0.6 (as a virtual machine in VMware vSphere) and thought I would take a look at keeping my ViMP installation up-to-date.
The first step is of course to make a backup in-case the upgrade fails – I simply took a snapshot of my virtual machine as this was the quickest and simplest solution.
First download ViMP version 2.1.1 from here.
Upload ViMP 2.1.1 to your server using WinSCP (Windows) or SSH (Linux).
Now use Putty (Windows) or SSH (Linux) to access the command line interface on your ViMP server.
Copy vimp.framework-2.1.1-r19091-community.tar.gz to your installation folder, in my case this was /var/www/showvid/data:
sudo cp vimp.framework-2.1.1-r19091-community.tar.gz /var/www/showvid/data
Change directory and extract ViMP 2.1.1 with the following commands:
cd /var/www/showvid/data sudo tar xzf vimp.framework-2.1.1-r19091-community.tar.gz
Issue the following commands to upgrade*:
sudo ./symfony rebuild sudo ./symfony cc
* Note that If you use languages other than English and update from a version < 2.0.7 to a version >= 2.0.7, the following symfony task must also be executed (in between the two commands above):
./symfony i18n:import --clear
You should now be able to log in as admin and see that your ViMP installation is running the new version (under the configuration link).
After the upgrade I found that then when I try to upload video I see an Error in the Admin portal:
+ Problem executing command FFmpeg version SVN-r0.5.1-4:0.5.1-1ubuntu1.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2009 Fabrice Bellard, et al. configuration: --extra-version=4:0.5.1-1ubuntu1.1 --prefix=/usr --enable-avfilter --enable-avfilter-lavf --enable-vdpau --enabl
I logged in as admin and clicked on Administration then Configuration and then Player and set Enable HTML5-player to False.
Then under the Media tab I clicked Restart Transcoding on the affected uploads and they converted successfully. After this I clicked on Transcode new formats and this appeared to work.
I checked /var/www/showvid/data/logs/framework.convert.log and did not see any errors.
So for now I have just left the HTML5 player disabled and my uploads are working without issue (even if they are not being transcoded to the new formats).
Additional support is available from the ViMP Forum if required.