It’s bad enough getting a virus on your PC these days especially if the virus disables your current Anti-virus software of choice. Fortunately it is easy enough to boot into an Ubuntu Live CD session and start to remove the infection from there.
- In the Ubuntu Live CD session run Firefox and browse to the avast! Linux Home Edition web page.
- Download the avast! Linux Edition (DEB package).
- Complete the registration page to be emailed a license key (if you do not already have one).
- To install avast! click Applications, Accessories and then Terminal and type the following commands:
cd Downloads sudo dpkg -i avast*
- Type the following command in the Terminal to allow avast! to download updates:
sudo sysctl -w kernel.shmmax=128000000
- To run avast! click Application, Accessories and then avast! Antivirus.
- Copy and paste your license key from your email into the Registration window and then click OK.
- In the avast! Antivirus window click the Update database button to update your virus definitions.
- Mount your Windows hard drive by clicking Places at the top left of the Ubuntu desktop and then select your Windows drive from the list.
- Open your Windows drive from the shortcut on the desktop and make a note of the drive label which will be displayed in the menu bar of the file browser window.
- In the avast! Antivirus window click the Selected folders radio button under Select folders to scan.
- To find your windows drive expand the folder tree next to the computer icon.
- Scroll down and expand the media folder and select the folder that corresponds to the Windows drive label and click OK.
- Click on the Start scan button and avast! will scan your windows hard drive for viruses.
Hopefully this will be enough to get Windows operational again and allow you to reinstall and update any broken antivirus software and install other malware scanners and tools to clean your PC.