I just installed Windows 7 on my wife’s Dell Inspiron 1420 which previously had Vista on it. Since then the screen is very dim when using battery power – and cannot be maximized (despite adjusting brightness settings in Power Options (in the Control Panel)).
It turns out that there is a setting for brightness in the Bios that needs to be adjusted.
- Reboot and then Press F2 to enter the Bios.
- Down Arrow to the Video section
- Select the Brightness option and press Enter
- Use the right arrow key to adjust the brightness
- Press Enter to exit the option
- Press Escape and then save changes when exiting the Bios.
My Bios version is A09.